Infinity War, I’m at a Loss For Words

[ This post contains major spoilers, make a u-turn while you can ]
If you haven’t watched Infinity War but are ok with spoilers, you may stay if you want.
If you have watched Infinity War, please welcome aboard and join the discussion.

20180426_132423

The moment I stepped out of the Cineworld’s theatre hall, I was at a loss for words. I didn’t know what or how to feel, and inside my head, questions and theories were flying around as if nothing that I’d just watched made any sense.

That (last) Friday night, few hours after I had let myself be sad over the loss of Loki and suffered at the thought of Peter holding onto Tony before he vanished into thin air, I began to research on the curiosities that my mind was inquiring.

First of all, the opening was one hell of an opener. I’d expect that they would start off with Thor and Loki, as I remembered in Ragnarok’s post credit scene where the Asgardian encountered another spaceship – that would have been Thanos and the gang, because of their expression really showed us that something bad was going to happen.

And I actually kind of expected something bad was going to happen to Loki too, but his death – like a proper, serious one this time – that I wasn’t expecting! Despite everything Loki could do and had done, I have a feeling that he was gone for good this time. To quote Thanos exactly, “no resurrection this time”. But I mean come onnn, in front of Thor?

IMG_4956.jpg

Then, there was Gamora’s death. At this point, Thanos has proven that he too could be a softie and he actually shed a tear – because to acquire the Soul Stone means that he’d have to sacrifice someone that he loves, and he sacrificed his adopted daughter. What a bloody muppet.

Someone had come up with a theory that Gamora could probably be the Soul Stone now, and has the chance to come back if Thanos lost. Hmmm…

However, the ‘death’ of the few more superheroes – Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, Falcon, Winter Soldier, Drax, Groot, Mantis, Star Lord, Spider-man and Doctor Strange –  where they had seen to be evaporated into the air was hard for me to believe that they had actually gone forever. I didn’t buy it, despite the sad scenes where most were vanished right in front of their best friend or those who cares about them. Because the fact that they were just simply vanished rather than being stabbed or shot, I believe they’re still alive. Or even if they did die, they would be incarnated – perhaps in other world or dimension, but they can’t be gone yet.

infinity-war-tony-stark-1.jpg

Rather than why did the one that mysteriously disappeared were disappeared, I’m more anxious about those that are still alive. Truth be told, I was kind of have prepared for Tony or Steve’s death so when they were the one who did not die amongst the lot, I honestly didn’t feel completely relieved. Even though I might have cried when Tony got stabbed by Thanos (because I assumed that he was really going to die there and then…I felt like a loser).

When Wanda, out of every other superheroes out there had to kill Vision (her robot boyfriend), I felt like it could have been my favourite heart-rending scene, before Thanos undid the time and ripped out the Mind Stone off Vision’s head himself. Like, rudeee Thanos!

So then I’ve decided that the most heartbreaking part in the movie was when Peter Parker was clinging onto his Mr Stark, while saying “I don’t want to go”. I love their father and son relationship. I love how Tony always said no to Peter but at the end of the day, he just let the young one off anyway. And he even considered Peter’s idea and actually back him up against Strange. Do you remember at the beginning when Stark told Potts about his dream of having children and being a father, but Potts wanted him to stop being Iron Man before his dream could come true? Well, you know what? He could have Peter as his son. Sorted.

Some of my favourite funny scenes that I can remember on top of my head right now:

• “Get lost, Squidward.” Stark to Thanos’ sidekick, Ebony.
  • You’re embarrassing me in front of the wizards.” Stark to Banner when the latter couldn’t come out as Hulk.
  • He’s not a dude. You’re a dude. He’s a man. A handsome, muscular man.” Drax to Quill, about Thor.
  • Thor calling Rocket Rabbit. It wouldn’t be funny if Thor’s a human, but since he’s from the God Squad…
  • And another one from Thor where he said his farewell to the Guardians, and Good luck, morons.” Pretty sure he didn’t know that “moron” is an offensive word as he said it innocently with a smile on his face.
  • Invisible Drax.
  • What was she doing up there this whole time?” Okoye, about Scarlet Witch.
  • I am Steve Rogers.” (I still can’t stop laughing thinking about this)

What else was great from the movie? The actions, of course! The battle in Wakanda was so intense and I loved every second of it. I mean, Captain America and Black Panther being side by side on the front line gave me chills. And when the three favourite superwomen (Scarlet Witch, Black Widow and Okoye) protected each other, yasss you go ladies!

And oh, can we talk about Thor’s new hammer, Stormbreaker? When Thor came through the final battle and like “my new hammer shall execute you worthless peasants.” So bloody cool. Ever since Ragnarok, Thor has definitely sliding into my “Ultimate Marvel Heroes” lane (eh, what do you mean it’s because his haircut that makes him look irresistible made me like him more? Pfftt). But let’s not forget without the Teenager Groot’s arm, Thor wouldn’t be able to come back to fight in time. So, that’s Groot from being utterly useless at first to being the Lightning God’s saviour. Well done, Teenager Groot.

The ending was somehow quite abrupt, but yet again, expected. We all know that the story’s not going to end just yet. We already got a two and a half hours of goodies for now, and most of us can’t even brain ourselves properly after having all that.

But seriously, what I love the most in Marvel is their beautiful friendship they all have with each other. Especially the love-hate ones. I have so many ships now I don’t bother to make myself to even count or list them all anymore. They can all have my heart.

The only thing that I’m still curious about is, if Thanos now have the power to everything, why would he still want to wipe only half of all existence? Being an omnipotent now that he is, he could produce more resources without killing the innocence (at least) or even wipe everything out if he wanted to start anew. So, why half? I’m still distressed at the fact that Tony and Steve were still alive – which only means that they are going to have a huge role of saving everyone and possibly facing a proper death in the next movie – as Doctor Strange renounced “I’m sorry, Tony. It’s the only way.” Why was he apologising to Tony? Does it mean that I need to prepare myself to get heartbroken ONE MORE BLOODY TIME? Great Marvel, just great.

Anyway, thank you for reading this post. I feel like I have so much to talk about still, but feel free to leave a long or just a comment. I would love to read your thoughts on Infinity War.

May Infinity War has made you suffer less than it did to me,

P.S One of my friends’ great observation might have spotted a blunder: To use the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos has to close his hand. But when Star Lord was going to shoot Gamora, Thanos didn’t clench his fist, but bubbles came out of the gun anyway.

1. Eena May 5, 2018 / 12:53 am

I watched this last Sunday and I’m still honestly kind of like WHAT HAPPENED. I know they’ll probably bring most of them back but Loki :((((

cabin twenty-four

• captaineverland May 6, 2018 / 3:43 pm

I know right!! I have like 1% of hope for Loki’s comeback but that’s it 🙁

2. Tqa London May 5, 2018 / 10:21 am

Okay, I stopped reading and comment the moment I read “Peter holding onto Tony before he vanished into thin air” and my question is..

HE DIED???? Seriously, he died?? I haven’t watched it yet because you have know idea how crazy the ticketing is here. The fanatic fans kept buying and watching multiple times tak bagi chance to other people to watch it.

• captaineverland May 6, 2018 / 3:40 pm

Aw man, that’s not fair! I hope you’d get to watch it soon though, so then you can come back and continue reading my post. 😅 Haha.

3. Lainy, BookishBitsBlog May 6, 2018 / 4:43 pm

I loved IW sooo much! It was brilliant!! I also don’t think they are dead! I think something will happen that they’ll be able to go back or have some sort of alternative dimension, I dunno!
    I loved it, it was so intense but also really funny!

• captaineverland May 6, 2018 / 9:29 pm

Yesss, let’s hope we’re not wrong on that! Haha.
      It was! Even though it stressed me out, I just had to love it! xx

4. Nancy May 6, 2018 / 7:39 pm

I really liked Infinity War. Marvel did such a great job building the cinematic world over the years! Oh man, there are so many questions that came from the movie – such a tease for the next movie! It was so funny when Thor kept calling Rocket, rabbit. Glad you enjoyed the movie!

exquisitely.me

• captaineverland May 6, 2018 / 9:34 pm

Marvel did indeed, and I’m becoming prouder every time new Marvel movies came out.
      Tell me about it! I really can’t wait for the next one and then again…I don’t want it to come too fast, you know what I mean? 😅
      Haha, Thor’s definitely my favourite in this one. Thank you, and I’m glad you did too! xx

5. foundationsandfairytales May 6, 2018 / 7:50 pm

I went to watch this last weekend and the film was amazing but I still don’t get the ending I was like ‘what even just happened?!’ This was a great detailed review hun!!

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

• captaineverland May 6, 2018 / 9:38 pm

Yeah, the ending was quite a bold move to just leave us hanging like that, wasn’t it? But I guess they wanted us to really anticipate for the next one. I’m glad you liked the movie though. And thank you so much for the compliment hun! 😀 xx

• foundationsandfairytales May 7, 2018 / 7:26 am

It definitely was! I hope the next movie brings them all back somehow because we lost too many main characters! No problem lovely x

• captaineverland May 8, 2018 / 3:22 pm

Yesss, I’m fine if they can’t remember themselves or whatever, as long as they’re still alive! xx

• captaineverland May 6, 2018 / 9:38 pm

Thank you for your comment! xx

6. sophieheartsnet May 6, 2018 / 9:50 pm

Oh my god the Peter Parker ‘I don’t want to go’ scene is TOTALLY the most heartbreaking part! Me and my partner were discussing it and really liked how real his leaving scene was compared to all of the other hero’s who kind of just wistfully looked into he distance! This movie was so amazing!- https://sophiehearts.net x

• captaineverland May 8, 2018 / 2:30 pm

Exactly! I heard that he actually improvised that scene. – I guess that shows how good of a young actor he is. And yes, this movie was! I think it’s the best Avengers movie so far. Thank you for your comment Sophie 🙂 xx

7. Lorna May 7, 2018 / 4:52 pm

Loved reading this, it was definitely a rollercoaster for the emotions with the shocks, funny bits & confusion! I thought that possibly those that disappeared at the end could be in another realm or that it will be like they never existed & they have to restore reality? Just some ideas, great post!x

• captaineverland May 8, 2018 / 3:06 pm

Oh, the emotion for this movie was definitely like a rollercoaster ride. I like the idea that those that disappeared could be in another realm, but when Thanos said to Tony “I hope they’ll remember you”, the idea of them being reincarnated is now on top of my list. And yes, perhaps then they’ll have to restore the reality or someone will have to find a way to restore the reality for them. Thank you, Lorna! xx

8. beereaderbooks May 7, 2018 / 5:45 pm

Yes! I have been WAITING to vent on this issue 😄 honestly we all returned from the cinema in silence and I was in a bad mood for the rest of the evening it just was an incredible film but it left me feeling so bereft, like that ending should not happen, of course something bad had to happen but all those people lost?!! Crazy! I definitely think some kind of time reversal like what Thanks did with Vision for the stone will happen in the next fulm but it’s left a huge space right now. My eldest son has been a Black Panther fan from the comics since way before the film’s and he was devastated 😯

• captaineverland May 8, 2018 / 2:55 pm

Oh, I was EXACTLY like you after the movie finished. Now that I think about it, I really wish they’ve made different ending. It was a bold move to end the movie like that, but I’m guessing the Russo brothers really wanted us to anticipate for the next one. And we know Thanos has his own agenda, so there’s nothing we can do but wait. Huhu. Aww, how old is your son? xx

• beereaderbooks May 8, 2018 / 3:44 pm

Exactly, I can see it is all about the next few films now but I feel for maybe first time fans going to see it and coming out massively confused/ bewildered! I was however so proud that my kids (7 & 10) knew the less well known characters & hints that featured such as Red Skull & Captain Marvel, that made me feel I’ve raised them right ha 🤣
        My 10 year old is the huge Black Panther fan, he is autistic & ADHD so this is his special interest (along with gaming) he sees the bigger picture now and knows that Black Panther HAS to be back

• captaineverland May 14, 2018 / 11:38 pm

Aw yes, that’s true too. Though I wouldn’t recommend people who hasn’t been following MCU to watch Infinity War straight on. Then again, if they did watch and are still confused, they just had to catch up after. 😅
          Oh mum, you raised them right indeed! Haha. And aww, I’m glad your oldest figured what’s going on now and pfft, of course Black Panther’s going to come back! *winks*
          Sorry about this very late reply by the way, been so busy last week. 😅

• beereaderbooks May 15, 2018 / 8:32 pm

Ahh thank you no need to apologise hugs x

9. Nadia May 8, 2018 / 9:05 am

Nadia mcm blur kejap masa part ending when half of them vanish and some are not . Part Gamora mati and Thanos nangis tue sedih but so cruel Thanos because he still killed Gamora.

• captaineverland May 8, 2018 / 3:17 pm

Tu la, ramai yang tak suka the ending (especially bila diorang punya favourite yang vanished, and I can understand that). But maybe the producers and director nak sangat kita anticipate for the next one. Urgh, masa Thanos killed Gamora tu, nampak sangat dia jahat even though dia sayang, but what’s the point in proving dia punya ‘sayang’ tu when at the end of the day, he know he had to kill her? Thank you for your comment, Nadia <3